Saturday, April 2, 2022

Aice Media Portfolio Project - Blog Post #23

 Editing Takes Time...

Week of 3/28 - 4/1 (#2 of 3)

    After many days of filming on location, we have finally acquired all the shots we need to start the editing process. Before I start the Adobe Premiere program I opened all the shots to make sure they all looked good and the view was in focus. I noticed that some of the shots were very blurry which meant that I had to scrap them. This mostly included the shots from the island which makes sense because my cameraman was my friend who is not 100% familiar with the camera and how to focus it. Also before I rented the camera I was notified that the autofocus on the camera is slow and not completely accurate. It is now that I understand why this information was so important. Now it was time, I opened the program and started dragging my clips into the timeline. I was seeing my story come to life in front of my very eyes. It was very rewarding to see my hard work come to life.

Adobe Premiere Editing Timeline

    After all my clips were laid out for me I kept getting the idea in my head that something was missing. I then researched ways to make my film look more cinematic. I was really going for that professional movie look. I came across a method called LUTs. LUT stands for “look-up table.” A LUT is a tool that lets filmmakers, editors, and colorists save particular color grades as a template. Think of a LUT as a color preset that a filmmaker can readily turn to when working on a project. I didn't know a lot about LUTs before this project but I am glad that my eyes could be opened up to a new world of cinematic filmmaking. Now adding these LUTs is a simple as dragging and dropping into the editing timeline. I am satisfied and grateful to say that because of this new discovery, my film opening will look more cinematic and professional. 



No comments:

Post a Comment